Polypodium Leucotomos Extract for Skin, Hair, and Nails
Polypodium leucotomos extract is a type of fern found in the American tropics and sub-tropics. It has a long history of use in traditional Honduran medicine, particularly for the relief and protection of the skin.
On this page, we will take a closer look at the Polypodium leucotomos extract benefits and show you how to take Polypodium leucotomos capsules to support skin, as well as hair and nails.
What are the benefits of Polypodium Leucotoms Extract capsules?
So, what is Polypodium leucotomos and how can it benefit your health?
While more research needs to be done to make definitive claims about Polypodium leucotomos benefits, there are some conclusions that can be made from studies that have been done:
- Clinical trials show that Polypodium leucotomos has antioxidant activity
- Research also shows Polypodium leucotomos may exhibit photoprotective properties and may work in conjunction with applied sunscreens used to protect the skin from UV rays.
- Multiple studies have been performed showing that Polypodium supplements may encourage the preservation of skin tissue structure.
- Research also indicates Polypodium leucotomos may help protect DNA.
- Additional studies show that Polypodium leucotomos may neutralize free radicals and reactive oxygen species, particularly superoxide anion.
Whether you are interested in Polypodium leucotomos for hair or you’re intrigued by the potential Polypodium leucotomos skin benefits, taking a Polypodium leucotomos supplement is one of the most effective ways to naturally increase your daily intake of it. Just make sure it’s a high-quality product.
Polypodium Leucotomos Side Effects
Studies have been done to test the safety of the Polypodium leucotomos extract supplement. Overall, trials have concluded that taking the recommended amount of the extract is safe for healthy adults. However, before you start taking a Polypodium leucotomos fern supplement, it’s crucial to assess your own, specific health conditions. Whether you are taking Polypodium leucotomos for psoriasis or as an alternative way to protect your skin from UV radiation, you’ll want to speak to your healthcare provider.
And if you are currently taking any prescriptions, over-the-counter medications or other supplements, you should speak to your doctor to make sure it’s OK for you to take the recommended amount of Polypodium leucotomos supplements and ensure there won’t be any negative interactions.
Note, however, that studies looking into the safety of this extract are not complete.
That being said, there will be more to come. If you are currently suffering from any kind of pre-existing health condition, you will want to discuss any supplements with your doctor. For some people, taking this supplement may not be the best option, but it’s best to find out from a medical professional.
Most notably, it’s unclear if taking this extract is safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women. For this reason, it’s recommended you avoid this supplement until you have given birth and are finished nursing.
If you notice any unusual side effects after starting a new supplement regimen — whether it’s Polypodium leucotomos or something else — you should stop taking it immediately and speak with your healthcare practitioner. You should resume supplementation if it’s OK’d by a medical doctor.
|Daily serving: 2 capsules
Number of servings per bottle: 45
|Polypodium leucotomos 4:1 leef extract
|Other ingredients: Acacia gum, rice flour.
Each vegetarian capsule contains 500 mg of Polypodium leucotomos 4:1 leef extract.
Directions for use
How to take Polypodium Leucotomos Extract
So, how do you know what Polypodium leucotomos to buy? First and foremost, you should look for a company that uses minimal ingredients and gets all of its products tested by third parties.
Our Polypodium supplement comes in a bottle with 90 vegetarian capsules. We recommend taking two 500mg capsules every day. Each serving contains 1,000 mg of Polypodium leucotomos 4:1 leaf extract. The only other two ingredients are acacia gum and rice flour.
For most people, it makes sense to take one or two capsules each day. It’s best to take both capsules in the morning, at least thirty minutes before you plan on having any exposure to the sun. However, when you go out in the sun, you should still use topical skin products to avoid exposure.
You should store all your supplements out of direct sunlight and in a cool, dark location. It’s also important to keep all supplements out of the reach of children and pets. These fern extract supplements are meant for healthy adults who are looking to boost their overall well-being.
For all other uses, you should speak with a healthcare provider before taking these capsules.
No reviews for this product yet
- Gombau L, García F, Lahoz A, et al. Polypodium leucotomos extract: antioxidant activity and disposition. Toxicol In Vitro. 2006;20(4):464-471. doi:10.1016/j.tiv.2005.09.008
- Del Rosso JQ. Polypodium Leucotomos Extract (PLE): New Study Gives Evidence-based Insight into "Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing". J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2019;12(8):45-46.
- Goh CL, Chuah SY, Tien S, Thng G, Vitale MA, Delgado-Rubin A. Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Trial to Evaluate the Effectiveness of Polypodium Leucotomos Extract in the Treatment of Melasma in Asian Skin: A Pilot Study. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2018;11(3):14-19.
- Parrado C, Mascaraque M, Gilaberte Y, Juarranz A, Gonzalez S. Fernblock (Polypodium leucotomos Extract): Molecular Mechanisms and Pleiotropic Effects in Light-Related Skin Conditions, Photoaging and Skin Cancers, a Review. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17(7):1026. Published 2016 Jun 29. doi:10.3390/ijms17071026
- Addor FAS. Antioxidants in dermatology. An Bras Dermatol. 2017;92(3):356-362. doi:10.1590/abd1806-4841.20175697
- Nestor MS, Berman B, Swenson N. Safety and Efficacy of Oral Polypodium leucotomos Extract in Healthy Adult Subjects. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2015;8(2):19-23.